- New technology strategy marks the first time a GDS has opened its library of code to third-party developers
- Software initiative eases the development of rich and large-scale enterprise web applications, addressing the challenges of mobile web development
- ARIA™ Templates code already underpins Amadeus’ User Interface (UI) development
Over the previous three years, Amadeus has been using the ARIA™ Templates framework internally to develop its professional web-based products including Altéa Reservation Desk Top Web, the Internet-based interface for airline reservation agents and Selling Platform Connect, the world’s first web-based GDS interface for travel agents. The ARIA™ framework also powers the latest releases of Amadeus’ consumer-facing mobile apps for the company’s airline customers.
ARIA™ Templates’ ability to support rich, enterprise-grade, high performance online and mobile applications mean the travel industry can access reliable selling applications from internet browsers. Importantly, the approach also reduces the development cycle for new innovations as software updates can be rolled out in an instant.
Denis Lacroix, Vice President – Product Development, Sales and e-Commerce development, Amadeus said: “Opening our code to third-party developers is a critical step to achieving our technology vision and ensures Amadeus customers will benefit from the widest possible range of development innovation”.
He continued: “Many of the world’s most successful applications are built to run on open-source platforms like Google’s Android. With this progressive move, our selling interfaces are now open to clever ideas from around the world. In addition, the use of ARIA™ Templates within Amadeus is increasingly pervasive, with upcoming products in Hotel IT and Airport IT”.
This powerful development tool is a Java-script code library designed for UI developers in order to ease production of robust and scalable enterprise web applications. Key benefits include:
· Overcoming the challenges of mobile: Device and operating system fragmentation means development of native mobile apps is extremely costly for airlines and the travel industry. The alternative mobile website-only approach is vulnerable to slowness as the mobile web suffers from low levels of bandwidth. Amadeus’ approach is a lightweight, ‘hybrid’ mobile application offering the performance of native apps whilst constraining costs which can be built using the ARIA™ Template framework.
· Reducing development cycles: ARIA™ Templates enables a SAAS based approach to speed up the deployment of updates to Amadeus’ products allowing software to be updated automatically through the browser as new developments come online.
· A simple framework for third-party developers: Developers using ARIA™ Templates benefit from the familiar MVC pattern allowing for clear code design re-use, and sharing, making application customization a simple process.
· Furthering innovation: Third party developers now have the means to propose and build advances to Amadeus’ selling interface, opening up a raft of new ideas. As the framework is already used in key Amadeus products, the company has a long-term commitment to investing in and maintaining ARIA™ Templates.
software and is licensed under the flexible Apache 2.0 license
. Developers wishing to learn more or participate in the ARIA™ open source community should visit http://ariatemplates.com/
and can obtain the ARIA™ source-code at Github
- Ends –
Notes to the editors
Amadeus is a leading transaction processor and provider of advanced technology solutions for the global travel and tourism industry.
Customer groups include travel providers (e.g. airlines, hotels, rail, ferries, etc.), travel sellers (travel agencies and websites), and travel buyers (corporations and individual travelers).
The group operates a transaction-based business model and processed more than 947 million billable travel transactions in 2011.
Amadeus has central sites in Madrid (corporate headquarters), Nice (development) and Erding (operations – data processing center) and regional offices in Miami, Buenos Aires, Bangkok and Dubai. At a market level, Amadeus maintains customer operations through 73 local Amadeus Commercial Organisations covering 195 countries.
Amadeus is listed on the Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao and Valencia stock exchanges and trades under the symbol “AMS.MC”. For the year ended December 31, 2011 the company reported like-for-like revenues of €2,712 million and EBITDA of €1,039 million. The Amadeus group employs around 10,000 people worldwide, with 123 nationalities represented at the central offices.
tel: +34 91 582 0160
fax: +34 91 582 0188